Serious Speech Topics
This page focuses on serious speech topics. These subjects work well when
you need to deliver a speech with an important message, rather than a
presentation that's purely designed to entertain.
Tips For Presenting a Serious Speech
- Pick a topic that excites interest in others AND in yourself.
The more passionate you are about a subject, the more likely you are to
be able to find plenty to say about it... and the more likely it is that
your words will carry conviction.
- Consider picking a controversial topic (evolution, capital
punishment etc) but remember that these topics have been used many, many
times before. Ensure your approach is fresh, unique and exciting. Don't
echo the words of countless speech-makers who've covered the same
topics in the past!
- Consider picking a topic that really appeals to human emotion.
Speeches that focus on hope, love, determination etc can be powerful and
leave a long lasting impression.
- Don't rule out the use of humor... even serious speech topics
can sometimes benefit from a little light relief. Just ensure that any
humor you DO use is appropriate - when discussing serious matters it can
be very easy to cause offence, which - of course - you need to avoid.
- Serious speech topics benefit greatly from the use of specific
examples. Support your presentation with real life details and stories
that will make your speech more interesting AND more credible.
- As with all speeches, make sure your ideas flow logically. Use
transitions (however, nevertheless, in addition, likewise, on the other
hand etc) to help your audience follow your train of thought.
- Use plenty of emphasis in your speech, including raising/lowering your voice where appropriate.
Serious Speech Topics - Suggestions
- An arranged marriage makes more sense than a marriage based on love
- It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees
- Homeschooling produces more well-rounded students than traditional education
More persuasive speech ideas
- How caffeine affects the human body
- How the role of women in the US has changed since the 60's
- How to grow sprouted grains at home
More informative speech ideas
- Gender selection is good/bad for society
- Should the death penalty still exist?
- Should childhood vaccination be mandatory?
More controversial speech ideas
Serious speech topics for kids
- What it's like to have a sibling (or other family member) with Down's Syndrome (or other medical condition)
- Who I most admire and why
- What I would change if I could go back in time
More speech ideas for kids
After choosing the topic of your speech
Visit my Free Sample of Speeches List
which will inspire you AND provide you with a framework on which to
base your speech. I hope this helps you get started and produce a
presentation you're proud of!
Free email delivery
MASTER INFORMATIVE SPEAKING WITH OUR FREE CHECKLIST!
We are offering you a FREE SpeakFlight Informative Speaking Preparation Checklist. This valuable resource is packed with step-by-step guidance to help you create compelling, memorable, and effective informative speeches.